Bala Maheswaran, Ph.D.
367 Snell Engineering
Bala Maheswaran received his M.S. and Ph.D. in experimental solid state Physics, and MSEE in Electrical Engineering from Northeastern University. He worked as a research associate and lecturer in the department physics, Northeastern University, and then joined the college of engineering. He is currently a senior faculty in the First-Year Engineering Program. He has contributed and authored over fifty publications consisting of original research and education related papers, and conference proceedings. He also has been a part of paper presentations, workshops and panel discussions in several national and international conferences. He has over twenty years of experience in teaching at Northeastern University. He is the Program Chair/Chair-Elect of Engineering Physics and Physics Division, ASEE; campus rep chair, secretary and executive board member, ASEE NE Section; executive board member ASEE Zone1; the co-chair of TASME Conference (Technological Advances in Science, Medicine and Engineering), and Academic Member of Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER).
· Current research: Engineering Education and Energy System Innovation.
· Past research: High temperature Superconductors, two-dimensional electron gas and Engineering Physics Education.
Selected Professional Activities
· Academic member responsible for the 1st Annual International Conference on Electrical Engineering, ATINER 2017
· Academic member responsible for a Panel on Engineering Physics as part of the 5th Annual International Conference on Physics, ATINER 2017
· Academic member responsible for an Annual International Symposium on the Future of STEAM (sciences, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) Education, ATINER 2017
· Division Chair, Engineering Physics and Physics Division, ASEE 2017-2019
· Program Chair, Engineering Physics and Physics Division, ASEE 2013-2017
· Secretary and executive board member, ASEE-NE Section 2017 – present.
· Campus Rep Chair and executive board member, ASEE-NE Section 2016 – present.
· Executive board member, ASEE-Zone1 2016 – present.
· Membership Co-Chair and executive board member, ASEE NE Section 2015-2016
· Poster-Chair, ASEE 2015 NE Section conference
· Graduate Students Poster-Chair, ASEE 2017 NE Section conference
· Secretary, Engineering Physics and Physics Division, ASEE 2011-2013
· Award Committee, Engineering Physics and Physics Division, ASEE 2011-2013
· Selection Committee, Best Paper, PIC III (Professional Interest Council III), ASEE 2012-2013 and 2015-2016.
· COE Faculty Council elected member 2015-2017
· The COE Academic and Research Infrastructure Committee 2015-2017.
· FYELC Promotion Committee 2016
· FYELC Merit Review Committee 2014 and 2016
· Co-Chair, Technological Advances in Science, Medicine and Engineering Conference (TASME) 2011-2017
· Academic Member, Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER)
· Nominated by the ASEE President to serve in the ASEE Chester F. Carlson Award Committee (nationwide) for three years, 2015-2018.
· ASEE2014-2016 Engineering Physics and Physics Division, “ABET Panelist Certificate of Recognition”.
· First place in the Best Student Paper Competition at the 2016 ASEE Northeast Conference.
· Personally invited by the Northeastern University President for the year 2014 State of the University gathering, and was recognized “as someone who is making difference our community”.
· Distinguished Educator and Service Award, The Engineering Physics and Physics Division, ASEE 2013
· Outstanding Teacher of First Year Engineering Students, College of Engineering, Northeastern University 2013
· Nominee for Northeastern University 2013 “Excellence in Teaching Award”
· Northeastern University, “15 Year Service Award”, 2012
· Recognition for commitment as teacher to College of Engineering, by the Black Engineering Student Society, the Society of Women in Engineering, and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineering 2011
· Nominee for Northeastern University 2011 “Excellence in Teaching Award”
· Outstanding Teacher of First Year Engineering Students, College of Engineering, Northeastern University 2001
· Invention Incentive Award, Northeastern University
· Advance Research Award, Barnett Institute, Northeastern University
· US Patent # 5677265