Associate Professor of Sociology
Ph.D. , 1987, Sociology,
University of California, Berkeley
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Associate Professor of Sociology
- Linda Blum. “‘Not Some Big, Huge, Racial-Type Thing, But…:’ Mothering Children of Color with Invisible Disabilities in the Age of Neuroscience.” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 36, 4 (Summer 2011).
- Linda Blum. Organized, edited, and introduced: Symposium on Surrogacy, Past and Present Feminist Debates, on Surrogate Motherhood and the Politics of Reproduction by Susan Markens. Sociological Forum 26, 1:194-208 (2011).
- Linda M. Blum and Jennifer J. Esala. “Breastfeeding.” Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development Ed. D. Carr. Vol 1: 64-68. (Detroit: Macmillan Reference, Gale Virtual Reference Library, 2009). To be reprinted in Gendered Bodies, 2nd ed., Judith Lorber and Lisa Jean Moore, eds. (Oxford University Press, Forthcoming).
- Linda Blum. “Mother-Blame in the Prozac Nation: Raising Kids with Invisible Disabilities.” Gender & Society 21.2: 202-226 (2007).
- Linda Blum. At the Breast: Ideologies of Breastfeeding and Motherhood in the Contemporary United States. (Boston: Beacon Press, 1999). Chapter Two (edited), “From to Disembodied Motherhood” in Sociology of the Body, Malacrida and Low, eds. (Oxford University Press, 2008).
- Linda Blum. “Between Feminism and Labor: The Significance of the Comparable Worth Movement”. (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991). Chapter One (edited) in Cases and Materials on Employment Law. Calloway, Sullivan, and Zimmer, eds. (New York: Little Brown, 1993).
Awards and Honors
AWARDS AND HONORS (External)
- 2005 Honorable Mention, Distinguished Article Award, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association for “Gender in the Prozac Nation.”
- 2002 Honorable Mention, Mirra Komarovsky Book Award, Eastern Sociological Society for At the Breast.
- 2000 Distinguished Book Award, Sex & Gender Section, American Sociological Association for At the Breast.
- 1996-97 Bunting Fellow, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Studies, Harvard University.
- 1992 Honorable Mention, C. Wright Mills Book Award, Society for the Study of Social Problems, for Between Feminism and Labor.
- 1991 American Sociological Association/National Science Foundation, Fund for the Advancement of The Discipline Award.
- 1986 Woodrow Wilson Foundation, Women’s Studies Dissertation Award.
AWARDS AND HONORS (Internal)
- 2004 Center for the Humanities, Senior Faculty Fellowship, University of New Hampshire.
- 2002 Center for the Humanities, Sidore Initiative Grant, University of New Hampshire.
- 2000 Summer Faculty Fellowship, “Gender in the Prozac Nation,” University of New Hampshire.
- 1994-95 Faculty Fellow, Differences Among Women Project, University of Michigan.
- 1991 University of Michigan Faculty Fellowship.
- 1985, 83 University of California, Berkeley, Regents Fellowships.
- 1982 University of California, Berkeley, Department of Sociology, Gertrude Jaeger Award.
- Chair of the Nominations Committee, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2008-2009)
- Member, Martin Levine Dissertation Award Committee, American Sociological Association (2008)
- Elected Chair, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2007-2008)
- Chair-Elect (elected, serve on Council), Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2006-2007)
- Editorial Board, Gender & Society (2003-2005, 2006-2008)
- Member, Rose Laub Coser Dissertation Award Committee, Eastern Sociological Society (2002-2003)
- Chair, Cheryl Allyn Miller Award Committee, Sociologists for Women in Society (2000-2002) Member, Nominations Committee, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2000)
- Newsletter Coeditor, Society of Institute Fellows, the Bunting Program, Radcliffe Institute (1999)
Back to all CSSH Faculty >>